Friday, February 24, 2012

French Toast Casserole

For my 6yr old's special day tomorrow I decided to make a French Toast Casserole. Its super easy and way yummo! I have a bread machine which making the bread a lot easier. I use Challah bread, normally I would take it out after the "rising" cycle finishes to take it out and braid the bread before baking. However since 1. I'm lazy and 2. Its going to be chopped into pieces, it doesn't really matter!

One loaf 1.5-2lb of Challah bread -chopped into squares
8 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup white sugar (optional)
1 cup brown sugar

After you make your bread and chop into squares as best as you can put it into a glass casserole dish and set aside.

Mix the rest of the ingredients in a bowl and whisk till well blended 1-2 mins.

After mixing, pour as evenly as you can over the bread. Cover with plastic wrap or tin foil. You may have to squish your bread down a bit(that's ok to do!).

Put in fridge overnight. I tend to do this after I get off work, bread made before so its ready to go when I get home about 9:30-10:00pm.

In the morning heat oven to 350 degrees and cook for 45mins to an hour. It depends on how thick your casserole is, larger dish = shorter cook time.

Let it cool for a few when you get it out. Cut, add syrup, and EAT!

You can find varying recipes on the internet. This is the one I use personally. I am 100% for making it your own. That is part of the joy in cooking! Make it, tweek it, love it!

So for now, that is all...

No comments:

Post a Comment